Opening in 1939, the Woodgreen Lido has been at the heart of Banbury, providing a summer attraction for thousands of swimmers and sunbathers each year. The pool had closed for renovation works back in 2002, but since significant investment from Cherwell District Council and the takeover from Parkwood in 2009, the pool is now looking better than ever. After a £1.3 million investment from Cherwell District Council back in 2016, the dryside facility at Woodgreen now hosts a 50-station gym and over 30 fitness classes a week, with memberships starting from just £25 per month.
As of 26th May 2018, the pool season opened, and we invite all those in Banbury and the surrounding area to visit Woodgreen Lido for a fantastic day out. With a 50m heated pool, kids splash area, water slide and poolside cafe, there is no better place in Banbury for a day out this summer.
What are the Benefits of Swimming: Apart from providing a fun day out, how can swimming at Woodgreen benefit you?
1. Full body workout – 30 mins of swimming provides the same health benefits as 45 mins of land-based exercise.
2. De-stresses and relaxes – Swimming is known to lower stress levels, reduce anxiety and depressions, and help improve sleep patterns.
3. Burn those calories – §A gentle swim can burn over 200 calories in just 30 mins, more than double that of walking.
4. Supports the body – Water supports up to 90% of the body. So, if those ankles are sore, or a long-term problem is limiting your activity, swimming is a brilliant way to stay active.
5. Energy levels – 30 mins of swimming, three times a week, can boost your energy levels through increased metabolic rate. (swimming. org, 2016)
Outdoor vs Indoor Part of Woodgreen’s appeal is the surreal feeling of swimming outdoors, whatever the weather. As we’ve all experienced, a British summer can be unpredictable, but we often guarantee some 20+ degree days with scorching sunshine. Catching your breath during the outdoor swim becomes easier in the fresh air, and not the thick, humid feel of an indoor pool. Do you like swimming in the rain? Perfect! Many of our members will enjoy their morning swim even on the worst of days. The heated water of Woodgreen Lido makes it completely bearable, and if you’re wet anyway, what’s the issue! Those of you who are serious swimmers or training for an event, the 50m length of the pool makes training that much more effective. Do you need to dry off after a swim? Put a towel on the ground, lie back and soak in the sun whilst thinking how much you can boast to friends and colleagues about your end of summer tan.
Would you like to join the team and become a lifeguard? Legacy have positions across Cherwell. If you are interested, please contact email@example.com. uk or contact your nearest Legacy leisure centre. T: 01295 262 742 Woodgreen Leisure Centre, Woodgreen Avenue, Banbury, OX16 0HS