Barn owls are a majestic icon of the British countryside they float ghost-like across fields at dusk in search of voles and rats.
When they catch these rodents they are inadvertently ingesting the powerful rat poisons that are being used on farms across the country. When owls eat their prey they are taking in toxins which can cause internal bleeding. Although not all die as a result it does affect their ability to hunt and breed. Eight out of ten barn owls have been found to have these poisons in their bloodstream.
There is a glimmer of hope for this beautiful predator; the government is reviewing how such poisons are used. Please lobby the minister responsible for the review with demands to impose stricter controls on these poisons, restricting where and how they are used and thus throw a lifeline to our owls.