MS Society Banbury
What is MS? Multiple sclerosis (MS) is a neurological condition that affects your brain and spinal cord when your immune system isn’t working properly. In MS, the coating that protects your nerves (myelin) is damaged, and this causes a range of symptoms. Once diagnosed, MS stays with you for life, but treatments and specialists can help you to manage the condition and its symptoms.
In the UK around 1 in 600 of us has MS. That’s over 100,000 people. Everyone’s MS is different and nobody knows for sure why MS happens to some people. What we know is growing all the time as research is making progress all the time. Treatment can make a real difference to many people’s MS, especially if treatment starts early.
MS Symptoms can often be invisible to others and hard to explain so it helps if people who don’t have MS can bear these types of symptoms in mind:
- Feeling exhausted with fatigue that can make doing things very hard or impossible
- Strange feelings like numbness or tingling in your arms, legs, hands or feet
- Eye problems
- Feeling dizzy or having problems with your balance
- Problems walking
- Problems talking or swallowing
- Muscle stiffness and spasms or tremors
- Bladder or bowels problems
- Forgetting things and difficulties with your thinking
- Emotional issues
Grants from the MS Society The Banbury District MS Society Group help to create a local network for people with MS; offering support and guidance. Where equipment or adaptations are required the team can seek support for equipment and mobility aids and grants may be sought from the Society if required.
Events coming up in Banbury * Every first Thursday of the month the group get together for a Support and Information (S&I) meeting. Meetings are held at Marlborough Road Church, Banbury. The next meetings are Thursday 6 September, Thursday 4 October, 1 November, 6 December 2018. Get in touch if you would like to join.
* Canal Day on Sunday 14 October
* Sainsburys, Banbury. Volunteers needed to help fundraise for the MS Society Banbury on the following days: 3 August, 4 August, 5 August 2018 and further dates in October and November. If you can spare a couple of hours on any of these days and would like to help with our collection please contact us to let us know what day/time is best for you.
Please come along and see us at any of our events. Other ways to support us:
Raise money every time you shop, sign up to Give as you Live: www.giveasyoulive. com/join/mssocietybanbury
Like us on Facebook: MS Society Banbury and follow us on Instagram MSSocietyBanbury
Volunteer: We are also looking for regular volunteers to help the group reach more people in the local area who are affected by MS.
If you would like to help us organise and coordinate events, to raise awareness and support people with MS in Banbury please contact us to get involved.
Tel: 01295 710680 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
2018, Your Letterbox